Community driven Environmentally Sustainable Village Programme (CESVP)-[with Technical Assistance from ENVIS centres & Funding from Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY)] –
Community-driven Environmentally Sustainable Village Program (CESVP) has the objective of mobilising communities on environmental issues, creating decentralized models of development empowering local communities, and building the right atmosphere in villages to adopt environmentally sustainable practices on community level. Under the programme, ENVIS Hubs/RPs served as subject/technical experts for implementing the environmental development agenda under Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY) and Member of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme (MPLADS). While this is not a mandate of the ENVIS scheme, it is an activity that can be taken up by ENVIS Hubs & RPs and is dependent on the Members of Parliament funding the required activities.
The Hon’ble Prime Minister has launched the Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY) on 11th October, 2014. This was aimed at improving the wellbeing of selected Gram Panchayats (GPs) through convergence of programmes under the overall guidance of Hon’ble Members of Parliament. The Yojana is about improving access to public services and community action for social and economic development so that the villages can become role models worth emulation by neighbouring Gram Panchayats. In this context i.e under the new initiative of ENVIS Scheme, Ministry has launched Community-driven Environmentally Sustainable Villages Programme (CESVP).
Community Driven Environmentally Sustainable Village Programme (CESVP)
AIMS & OBJECTIVES
- To sensitize the village communities and stakeholders about environmentally sustainable development and protection and conservation of biomes, biodiversity and natural resources.
- To build community driven approach for preservation and conservation of environment.
- To create awareness about major environmental issues such as pollution, waste management, water management, soil management, biodiversity preservation, etc.
- To work with the local government bodies and give technical support and enable setting up of community driven projects, such as solar energy, sewage treatment plants, etc.
- To train the village community in the operation and maintenance of such projects.
- To signiﬁcantly upgrade the standard and quality of life of all residing in the villages.
- Assessment of present status of the village through available information on parameters like land use pattern, population, topography, education facilities, agriculture practices, soil type, sewage system, solid and liquid waste management practices, water sources, water balance, cleanliness, sanitation, etc.
- Identiﬁcation of gaps in the development of villages and develop a comprehensive programme to encourage best practices and improvement of deﬁcient areas.
- The community-focused programme will be carried out by means of diﬀerent media including ﬁlms, audio, visual and print, theatre, advertisements, posters, seminars/workshops, competitions, meetings, exhibitions, health melas, etc. for spreading messages concerning environment and generating awareness among villagers.
Following this, environmentally sustainable activities would be taken up on community driven approach.
- Biodiversity Conservation
- Clean and Green Village
- Waste Management
- Water Management and Sustainable Livelihoods
- Control of Pollution
Creating decentralized models of development empowering local communities, and building the right atmosphere in villages to adopt environmentally sustainable practices on community level.
How To Apply
The Yojana is about improving access to public services and community action for social and economic development so that the villages can become role models worth emulation by neighbouring Gram Panchayats.